The other day I found Teese, a soy cheese made right here in Chicago. It's nommy for sure. I used their cheddar sauce, mixed with a cup of soy milk, half a container f vegan cream cheese, added some diced poblano peppers and let it simmer. Then, I poured it over some (cooked, obviously) whole wheat elbow macaroni. It was awesome! I made a whole pound, so we had leftovers for days!
Tonight though I made an AWESOME vegan bolognese sauce that I was so stoked about. Bolognese is a traditional meat sauce, and it's freaking delicious. It's also fattening as hell and not at all healthy. I took a lot of care in preparing it and watched it like a hawk for a whole hour and a half, tasting and tweaking as I went. If you're going to make it, I suggest the same.
Here's (roughly) how I made it. If I list measurements, that's what I used. If I don't, it's to taste. Capisce? Good, here it is:
- Virgin Olive oil
- Medium Yellow Onion - diced
- (Med carrot if you want, I omit - diced)
- (Med Celery Rib if you want it, I omit - diced)
- 4 pieces veggie bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 package Upton Naturals Italian Sausage style seitan (I can't say enough about this brand, it is amazing. They also make freaking awesome tamales. You need to eat them. So good.)
- 1/2 package of defrosted Boca crumbles (if you cook them frozen they have too much water)
- 2 large garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3/4 cup white whine (chardonnay works)
- 1 can of whole peeled tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- basil (I use a combo of fresh & dried)
- thyme (dried)
- oregano (fresh & dried)
- kosher salt (or sea salt)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup of Silk Soy creamer (original flavor)
- Parma! Vegan Parmesean
- Box of pasta, cooked (I use spaghetti, semolina not whole wheat)
Start the pasta during the last 15 mins of cooking, keep the sauce warm until the pasta is cooked & drained. Put the sauce over the noodles, add the vegan parm, and enjoy!
If you make it, please do let me know what you think!
For dessert, I made Cherrybrook Kitchen's Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla frosting. NOMNOMNOM!! I bought the mix & frosting at Whole Foods. I will SO totally be buying them again (and again and again).